« Back to the contents page

Get all the latest club updates


Kilbeggan vs Mullingar Athletic Kestrels U11

A beautiful morning in Kilbeggan saw the return leg of this fixture delicately poised at 1-1 from first leg. The kestrels needed a goal so they pushed from the start with an early shot from Daire McDonald pushed over. Ryan Kelly followed up from the back and a great shot was saved. So kestrels showing their intentions early on. Cathal Nevin was involved a both ends first aims his shot cleared off the line by Kilbeggan and minutes later clearing off his own line and broke out with the ball from the back. So a little pressure from the home side and as usual Daire McDonald was putting out fires all over the pitch and showed great touch of both feet to allow him work both sides of the pitch. A break up the left was dealt with by Ethan Bannon who showed amazing pace to catch up with the round the attacker before de-possessing him and clearing. Later a lose ball was retrieved by Ryan Kelly and he played in Donacha Maguire who in turn was closed down. Ryan Kelly had another pop from all of twenty yards but again keeper got a hand to it. Up the left side Oisin Heneghan was probing and beat his man before turning in on goal but was closed down. Half time came with no breakthrough.

The second half began with Alfie Armstrong testing the defense breaking in from the right and shooting just over. Shane Hopkins was as composed as ever at the back and was quick to get across and snuff out any Kilbeggan breaks. Kilbeggan although at home were sitting deep and counter attacking because of their away goal advantage. Step up Alex Sheerin who wins a free 15 yards out. He takes it himself and rifles it into the roof of the net with despairing Kilbeggan defender getting the faintest touches -hit the target- there’s always a chance 1-0 and a precious away goal. Now the game changed and Kilbeggan pushed for an equaliser shooting- but Alan Turzak was in position to cover it. Fionn Maguire tried to put the tie beyond doubt as he broke up the left to relieve the pressure- his first shot was blocked and then a follow up shot dragged wide.

There was one final chance from a Kilbeggan attack but their shot was cleared. So tense! The referee blows up. F-T.

The Kestrels to a man are delighted and through to the next round. It was a great tie from two well matched teams.

Club Sponsors